NeonApple

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Surgery This Week

We had to take our kitty to the vet this past week. I noticed that she didn't want me to rub her left ear, chich she normally loves. Her ear had a lumpy mass that seemed swollen and was warm to the touch. Attentive pet mommy that I am (some would say overprotective though but she's not their baby), I quickly made a vet appt for the kitty.

Later that day the husband and I took the kitty to the vet, where she got her yearly blood work done (which she needed anyways since she had a kidney infection about 1 1/2 years ago). The vet also did a needle aspirate to see what type of cells made up the mass.

I just got the test results back from the vet on the phone - the kitty's blood work was just fine, so no worres with her kidneys etc. However, her ear mass turned out to be a "Mast Cell Tumor", which I guess is pretty serious for dogs but is usually benign for felines. The vet will however have to remove the tumor and have a biopsy for the tumor to make sure it is benign and that it hasn't spread to her Liver, Spleen, or Gastrointestinal tract, where it can be very serious.

So the kitty goes under the knife this coming Friday. Even though the prognosis is very promising and is supposed to be very routine, I of course am a very worried pet mommy. She won't have to spend the night at the vet or anything, in fact she will be home in the evening the same day. She will more than likely have to wear an elizabethan collar so she won't try to rub her ear - she will just look pitiful I am sure since she will be all groggy and in pain. Luckily she will have some pain meds that I will be able to give to her.

Ugh - If I feel this way about my kitty being sick, I can only imagine what I will feel like when the human baby is sick! I guess even being a kitty mommy is stressful sometimes but I would do anything for my kitty, she will always be my furry baby.

1 Comments:

  • I'm sure kitty will be fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    By Blogger logoANN, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home