NeonApple

Monday, October 23, 2006

Deja Vu

Because I must be a glutton for punishment I suppose, I offered to train my Operations replacement at my former employer. Becasue I don't want the organization to set her up to fail and becasue I don't want all my hard work to go down the tubes.

Sigh - why I care I can't explain. I guess I just love torture or something.

So my old boss presented a contract to me that didn't provide any contract guidelines asside from stating the fact that I would be a contractor, not an employee, and that I would be responsible for taxes for any pay I would receive.

If couse I wanted a more comprehensive contract and provided comments for changes to my former boss. The next thing I know I receive a contract via mail requesting my signature (not another draft that I had requested). I of course wanted to see a final draft before the paper one was mailed to me.

In the presented contract a whole new paragraph was inserted, to which I had not agreed might I add, stating that I would be "on call" for any emergency Operational issues as the arrise! Hello - if I agreed to that I would have to be glued to my phone and computer everyday during San Francisco business hours (12pm-8pm in my current time zone)!

This is simply not acceptable! Does he want me to train her or does he really want me to keep solving the organization's operational issues even though I am not there?!

Obviously I didn't sign the contract - I really hope my old boss can see reason not only so that the organization can provide a comprehensive training for my replacement and not set her up to fail but also becasue I would hate to burn a bridge with the organization. I truly believe in what I helped to build there.

Damn idealism!

1 Comments:

  • Possibly his brain has been zapped by managerial training. Has he had any?

    By Blogger Zegi, at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home